This loaded baked potato soup recipe is creamy and cheesy and seasoned to perfection. Nothing beats a hot and yummy meal on a damp, cold day. Loaded potato soup with bits of bacon is just what the doctor ordered.
I love it when the kids come home from school and my house smells like Fall with a sprinkle of homemade bliss. And when I say “homemade bliss”… I really mean bacon and cheese.
Really, all the loaded baked potato soup soup recipe needs is a fresh loaf of bread and a large bowl and you will be good to go.
If you are looking for a carb-free meal, you did NOT find one. We are carb-loading, folks and I am not upset about it.
Some days, I reach for the grilled chicken and the garden salad. Other days, I’m chopping up bacon, pouring in heavy cream, and sprinkling loads of cheese on top of my dish. Please don’t judge me. Guess what kind of day we are having? You know it!
Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
You could also consider making this recipe in your crockpot or Instapot. But I am someone who prefers to make this traditional dish on the stove.
As far as ingredients are concerned, fresh is always best. I am sure you have the staples on hand – flour, butter, milk, and onions. Either way, check out my list and see what you need.
This post contains affiliate links.
Loaded Potato Soup Ingredients:
- 10 slices of bacon
- 1 yellow onion – diced
- 2 minced garlic
- 5-6 large potatoes – peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cups flour
- 1 cups heavy cream
- 5 cups of milk
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1/2 cups sour cream
Cook your bacon to a crisp and crumble set to the side. Leave the pan on the stove on medium. Add the butter to the pan with the bacon grease. Add the onion, garlic, and potatoes. Cook the loaded baked potato soup for 7 minutes.
Take all of the items in the pan and place it in a large pot over medium heat. Add the flour, salt and pepper, and stir.
Now, add the chicken broth, milk and cream and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer until the potatoes are fully cooked. Cook for about 25 minutes.
Add the cheese, sour cream, bacon crumbles, and the green onions. Stir to combine. Cook on low for another 10 minutes to combine flavors. Garnish with cheese, bacon and green onions. Enjoy your easy loaded baked potato soup!!
What do you think? Are you going to try this recipe? Would love to hear.
Do I Have To Include The Bacon In This Recipe?
If you are looking for a vegetarian option, please feel free to omit the bacon from this baked potato recipe. My daughter does not eat meat and we usually do not include the bacon when we know that she is going to eat with us for dinner.
It is just as good! Or if we know that we are craving that bacon taste, we bake the bacon in the oven and then crumble it on top for the guests who are in the mood.
What If I Used Skim Milk For This Recipe?
Look, if you want to save on the calories, you could absolutely start substituting out some of the ingredients with “better” options for the waistline. The dish will lose some of the creaminess. If you are willing to sacrifice some taste, it’s a great idea. But will it be the best baked potato soup recipe? That I just don’t know.
We all know that heavy cream is… well… heavy. If you plan to make this often, you will see the results after a while. But just know that milk will give you a much THINNER consistency. I’m talking about a DRASTIC difference.
How Can I Thicken My Easy Baked Potato Soup?
Let’s just say that you’ve made this Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe and you really aren’t happy with the way it turned out. If you want to try to thicken it, there is actually something you can do.
Add one cup of cold liquid to two tablespoons of cornstarch and stir together until everything dissolves together. Slowly add the mixture to the hot soup, stirring constantly. You will have to bring the soup back up to a low boil and keep it there for a few minutes.
- Cheesy Potato Casserole with Bacon Recipe
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Stew
- Easy Stuffed Potatoes
- Instapot Sweet Potato Casserole
- Easy Soup Recipes Plus Tips And Tricks For The Best Soup Ever
- Loaded Baked Potato Salad Recipe
- Greek Lemon Potatoes Recipe
- German Potato Salad Recipe
- Homemade Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- Homemade French Onion Soup Recipe
Print This Loaded Baked Potato Soup Recipe
- * 10 slices of bacon
- * 1 yellow onion - diced
- * 2 minced garlic
- * 5-6 large potatoes - peeled and diced
- * 2 cups Chicken Broth
- * 3/4 cup butter
- * 3/4 cups flour
- * 1 cups heavy cream
- * 5 cups milk
- * 1-2 tsp salt
- * 1/2 tsp pepper
- * 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- * 1 bunch green onions
- * 1/2 cups sour cream
- Cook your bacon to a crisp and crumble set to the side. Leave the pan on the stove on medium. Add the butter to the pan with the bacon grease.
- Add the onion, garlic, and potatoes. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Take all of the items in the pan and place it in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the flour, salt and pepper, and stir.
- Now, add the chicken broth, milk and cream and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer until the potatoes are fully cooked. Cook for about 25 minutes.
- Add the cheese, sour cream, bacon crumbles and the green onions and stir to combine.
- Cook on low for another 10 minutes to combine flavors. Garnish with cheese, bacon and green onions.