Looking for some creative ideas for your littles to do on a rainy day? These raised salt art projects are simple to recreate and loved by everyone. Perfect for every age with a little help from mom.
How does salt painting work?
You only need a few supplies to make this magic happen. Salty watercolors – or raised salt painting – comes together because of salt’s ability to absorb liquid and water vapor from the air. It does take a few hours to dry, but it’s so worth the wait!
Items You Need To Get Started
- Thick paper like cardstock or construction paper
- Pen or pencil
- Painting supplies like – watercolors or food coloring
- A pan to put under everything to work as a base to CATCH the falling salt – you will thank me later
How To Create Salt Art
- First draw an image using glue onto cardstock
- Then, use a paint brush to blend the glue into the image
- Cover the image in salt
- Flip page up to remove excess salt
- Dab on watercolor to create your image as desired
- Let dry for a few hours and enjoy!
- Watch the video to see this idea in action!
Looking For Other Raised Salt Art Project Ideas?
If you are looking for other raised salt art project ideas, I’ve collected a variety of ideas from YouTube that are perfect for kids. This is a wonderful project to do at home with the family any day of the week.
Sometimes you don’t have to give any guidance at all! Just let your kids create whatever they want and let their imaginations run wild.
Or, you could start off with an idea like a beautiful flower.
How about a happy face? Notice how this crafter used the back of a paper plate to create her raised salt art project. I love this idea.
Kids love spider webs! Such an easy design, but one that will keep the kids smiling, for sure.
What kind of salt do you use for watercolor?
Different types of salt will offer up varying effects for your art projects because of the salt crystal sizes. But the truth is that you can use whatever you have on hand. Use table salt, sea salt, or even kosher salt. It all works.
More Raised Salt Art Project Ideas
Have a holiday coming up? Consider a new tradition by introducing this fun art idea to the mix. I know baking is something that is usually something that families like to do together, but why not include raised salt art as well! What will the kids come up with?
Related Art Projects
- Ridiculously Easy Things To Draw With Chalk To Keep Your Kids Occupied – 100 Creative Suggestions
- How To Draw A Giraffe – Step By Step Tutorial For Kids
- Origami Butterfly Craft For Kids – Video Tutorials
- Watercolor Painting With Squirt Watercolor Guns: DIY Project
- Personalized Pencil Case For Back To School: Easy DIY Project
- Sketchbook Ideas – How Do I Make My Sketchbook Interesting?
- 55 Talent Show Ideas For Kids – Creative Acts That Are Fun To Watch