I’ve been married to my husband for 17 years and there’s one piece of marriage advice that I continue to pass down to all friends who are just tying the knot. Never stop dating your soulmate.
I have three children and we are so blessed to have them in our lives. They are truly our greatest gift – but Bill and I both recognize that we need time alone together as husband and wife. We started together and soon enough – all three of our children will be off to college and away from our nest.
It’s a reality of life and right around the corner. Natalie is in the 8th grade and is just a few years away from it all. What will happen once we are alone again?
This is a truth of life. Children are with you in your house for a few decades and then for the rest of your lives – you just have each other. Sure, the grandkids come back into the picture. But marriage is truly a sacred thing. My soulmate will be with me forever.
When I am 95 and grey (maybe), that boy will be by my side in his own rocking chair and I hope we will have a thousand memories of our own to celebrate and laugh over as well and memories of our children to hold onto.
I love my husband and so I choose to continue to date him. It doesn’t make me a bad mother. It doesn’t make me a better wife. It just makes me a woman.
My marriage advice to you is to remember how you started, remember why you two got together, and continue to celebrate that love in every way that you can. If you need reasons to plan a date night with your soulmate, I have 25! Check out the list below!
Marriage Advice For Women: Never Stop Dating Your Soulmate
25 Reasons Why You Still To Date Your Husband
- It all started with the two of you.
- Your relationship still matters.
- It’s nice to have adult conversation that doesn’t revolve around poopy diapers.
- Spending time with friends in social settings is good for the soul.
- You need to make memories as a couple sometimes, too.
- You’re a mother… but you’re also a wife. These aren’t exclusive categories, but they aren’t the same words either.
- Intimacy comes in many forms.
- He’s actually funny – remember?
- The kids need a break too! Give them a night off from the parents. What happens at Grandma’s house stays at grandma’s house. 🙂
- Enjoy a meal quietly – peacefully – slow paced – and without any arguments about wet willies.
- He can be sweet too.
- Do whatever you want. There’s no-one to take care of while on a date. It’s actually your time and your time alone.
- The two of you need to slow down a bit and not rush through dinner.
- If you drink, you can relax and enjoy a bottle of wine together.
- To learn new things about who he is as a person.
- When was the last time you went to your favorite restaurant?
- Marriage is such a gift. It is the greatest gift. Remember why you chose one another over and over again. Use the quiet moments to tell each other why you are still so happy.
- Use the time to talk about adult topics that can’t be discussed in front of the kids.
- Go see that Rated R movie you’ve been dying to see.
- To figure out new hobbies.
- Ride the scary rollercoaster together. No kid swapping!
- Use the time to look each other in the eyes. No electronics. No after-school schedules. No sibling rivalry. Just two people in love.
- Everyone needs a reason to get dressed up again.
- Tell him what you want from him – now and later.
- Remind him who you are.
Do you have any marriage advice that you’d like to share? How do you handle alone time with your soulmate? Do you try to squeeze it in? Or is it still to hard because your children are young? Would love to hear!
- How To Have Happy A Marriage – 50 Small Things You Can Start Doing Today
- What is a Happy Marriage?
- 14 Day Love Challenge: The Ultimate Checklist To Loving Your Spouse
- 5 Ways to Bring The Spark Back To Your Marriage
- Marriage Advice – Don’t Be A Right Fighter
- Remembering why I love my hubby
- 65 Good Morning My Love Messages – Good Morning Wishes For Your Sweetheart