These snowmen looking like they are chuckling, right? I love it! How jolly! Your kids will absolutely fall in love with this treat and will beg you to make them over and over again during the colder months. Just perfect for the holiday season and beyond. Nothing beats a marshmallow snowman!
I’ve provided instructions on how to make icing from scratch, but you can save time and effort by purchasing the store bought version. Entirely up to you.
Enough chatting, let’s get to it! I give you… Snowman Cupcakes!
Chocolate Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 1/3 C flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 TBSP unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- 1 C whole milk
- 1 C soft unsalted butter
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 1 bag of orange mini M&M’s
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 C powder sugar
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- Black and red gel food coloring
Chocolate Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt stirring together. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs one at a time, after each addition, then add in the vanilla.
- Alternating add the flour mixture with the milk; beating well.
- Fill the lined cupcake tins 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in cupcake tin for 10 minutes.
- Move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cream the butter and powdered sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- If it doesn’t cream add several drops of the heavy whipping cream until it creams.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready if not then….
- Add more powdered sugar 1/2 C at a time…. mix well.
- If ready scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a large round tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
Royal Icing Directions:
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes. (except your food coloring)
- If icing is not stiff enough add 1/4 C powder sugar.
- Spoon 2 TBSP of white icing into a bowl to use as glue.
- Divide the remaining icing in half. Add several drops of red gel food coloring in the first half of the icing.
- Add several drops of black gel food coloring into of the half icing … stir well to mix the color.
- Scoop the icing, red, white and black, into piping bags with small tips.
Building the Snowman:
- Before placing the marshmallow on the cupcake.
- Using the black icing make two tiny dots for the eyes on the marshmallow.
- Add the black icing make 5-6 tiny dots in a half circle shape for the mouth.
- Apply a small dot of the white icing to the center of the marshmallow just below the two tiny black dots for eyes onto the mini orange M&M for the nose of the snowman.
- Set the Snowman marshmallow on top of the frosted cupcake pushing it down to make sure that the head is secure.
- Use the red icing to add “buttons” to the Snowman.
- With the black icing draw the arms from the side of the bottom of the snowman head to the front of the frosting. Add two very short lines to the arm with the black icing.
- Allow about 5 hours for the icing to completely dry.