What a great idea for Thanksgiving! If you are having a party at home or if it’s your turn to bring in dessert for the kids at school, consider these turkey cupcakes. The frosting configuration isn’t as hard as you think!
Take a look to see how they are done below.
(PS – if you don’t want to make the cupcakes, just buy some pre-made at the store and decorate. No one will know!)
- 1 1/2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 C sugar
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 large egg, room temp
- 2 large egg whites, room temp
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 C buttermilk
- 1 C unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 C cocoa powder
- 3 C powder sugar
- 3/4 C heavy cream
Turkey Decorations Ingredients:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Sit aside.
- In an electric stand mixer whip the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy in the mixing bowl.
- Add in an egg, then the egg whites one at a time. Add the vanilla with the second egg white.
- Measure out the buttermilk.
- Mix 1/3 of the flour mixture alternating with 1/2 of the buttermilk. Mix after each addition only until just combined.
- With all ingredients blended spoon the batter into the paper lined cupcake pan until each tin is 3/4’s filled.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool in cupcake pan for 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and place each on a wire rack until cooled.
- Beat the softened butter on its own until smooth.
- Add cocoa and powder sugar alternately with heavy cream into the creamed butter until it becomes a smooth and thick texture.
- If the frosting is too thick, add more heavy cream, if too thin, add more powder sugar.
- Scoop frosting into a large pastry bag with a frosting tip.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push frosting to the tip.
- Frost cupcakes.
Turkey Decorations Directions:
- Following the outline for the layout of the decorations on the cupcake.
- Using the Turkey candy cupcake product found at Walmart, Michaels, Target or Hobby Lobby
- Place the eyes in the front of the cupcake facing you above the 1/2 way point in the frosting in front
- Now place 2 yellow pieces in front below the eyes for the gobble spread them apart like the picture shows
- Begin to create the feathers. There is no color order that is right or wrong. Be creative.
- I started with the back row first and then row two and finishing with the row closest to the eyes.
Looking for more Thanksgiving Fun?
Be sure to check out all of our Thanksgiving posts for ideas on what to cook, DIY crafts to make with the kids and more.