I have Hashimoto’s Disease and I am seriously thinking about going totally gluten-free again. I did it last years for two months and I’m not sure it made that much of a difference, but I have to do something. If I am being honest with you… I wasn’t ALL IN last year. I sort of dipped my toe into the pool and then decided the water wasn’t warm enough. But I can’t keep living this way. I am always so tired, cold, and anxious. If food can fix some of these symptoms, why wouldn’t I try? I mean REALLY TRY.
So, I started to search for gluten-free recipes and get my kids used to the thought of me introducing them into the home. My husband isn’t totally on board if I am being honest with you, but I have to do this for ME. My health matters and I am the one that is cooking the meals… everyone is going to have to come along for the ride. LOL!
So, today, I wanted to share a gluten-free Mexican lasagna recipe. It’s a twist from the original Italian number I do. Swapping gluten-free pasta is easy enough for when creating my lasagna, but this Mexican version is just so much fun.
Here’s the recipe! Hope you enjoy!!
Gluten Free Mexican Lasagna Recipe
Yields: 12 servings
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning (Gluten Free)
- 1 16 oz can refried beans
- 1 can enchilada sauce (or 2 1/3 cups homemade)
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 18 white corn tortillas, cut in half
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, guacamole, salsa
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook diced onion, and brown ground beef.
- Drain off excess grease, then stir in contents of taco seasoning packet. Set aside.
- In a 9×13 casserole dish, spread a thin layer of enchilada sauce evenly on the bottom.
- Layer tortilla halves, so straight edges line up along the outer edge of the dish. Continue layering to fill any gaps (it’s ok if there is some overlap).
- Continue layering the lasagna in the following order (saving enough of each ingredient to form a second layer): refried beans, enchilada sauce, beef and onion mixture, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes. You may then sprinkle on fresh cilantro and/or black olives if you wish before starting the next layer.
- With the second half of ingredients, start the next layer as follows: tortillas, refried beans, enchilada sauce, beef and onion mixture, shredded cheese and diced tomatoes (optional fresh cilantro and/or black olives).
- Top with a final layer that includes tortillas, a light layer of enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas have slightly crisped.
- Allow lasagna to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your choice of toppings: sour cream, guacamole, salsa fresh cilantro, shredded lettuce, fresh tomatoes, etc.
What do you think about this gluten-free lasagna?