I’m always on the hunt for new gluten free cupcake recipes. If you’ve followed my journey, you know that I have Hashimoto’s disease and have been told by my doctor to limit my gluten intake. While it’s not required, there are studies that suggest doing so will help minimize some of the symptoms of my auto-immune disease. That’s why I always like to include these kinds of recipes on my blog. Perhaps you or someone you love are in a similar situation? Either way, I am sure a gluten free cupcake will do the trick. 🙂
Can we just take a minute and talk about how good these look? Oh my goodness! I am in heaven! Did you notice the Oreo on the bottom? WH-AT?! Super bonus surprise. You are welcome. Honestly, these treats aren’t just for the kids. Make these for any upcoming get together you might have.
Gluten Free Cupcake: Cookies And Cream Recipe
Yields: 24 cupcakes
Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
Gluten Free Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 box Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix (plus required eggs, oil, and water as directed on box) – can sub any box of chocolate cake mix if not GF.
- 2 packages Gluten Free chocolate sandwich cookies (if you’re not GF, you can simply use 1 regular package of Oreos. I’ve found the Gluten Free brands includes about half the amount of cookies as a regular package of Oreos).
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Gluten Free Cupcake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line muffin tin with 24 cupcake liners and place a chocolate sandwich cookie at the bottom of each.
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions.
- Take half of the remaining chocolate sandwich cookies and place them in a ziplock bag and crush the cookies (a rolling pin worked nicely for this!). Dump the broken up cookie crumbles (cream filling and all) into the chocolate cake mix and combine.
- Fill each cupcake liner, two-thirds full with prepared cake mix. Bake as directed.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting.
- For the frosting, cream together softened butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla extract, and then slowly add in the powdered sugar until well blended.
- Add the remaining chocolate sandwich cookies to a food processor and pulse until cookies become a fine crumb consistency. Add to the prepared frosting, and mix well to combine.
- After cupcakes have cooled completely, add the desired amount of frosting.
***TIP: If using a piping bag and tip to frost, you may get some cookie chunks in the frosting that will plug up the tip. Simply use a toothpick to push through the end of frosting tip and break up the chunk to allow the frosting to flow back through.
What do you think? Are you going to give these gluten free cupcakes a shot? I hope you do. For more desserts, be sure to visit my recipes page.