Teenagers tend to have a lot of concerns. Some are big and some are made out to be much bigger than they are. Whatever the issue, it can be a difficult time for anyone.
There are many things to worry about at that age, and acne is a really big one. Acne to a teenage is like kryptonite to Superman.
How do I know? Because I suffered from it my whole life. Thankfully, I had a mild case and was able to cover most of my blemishes up with foundation, but not everyone was as lucky as I was (or am).
Talking To Your Teens About Acne: 5 Tips To Help Your Child Stay On Top Of Their Routine
Some people had really bad acne and I know how much it affected them on a daily basis. It makes you feel awkward and uncomfortable. It was a source of near constant stress and concern.
Teens can be tough and judgmental and acne is yet another issue that can cause their nerves to become frayed. Being a teen and growing into yourself is tough enough without having to worry about things like this.
Now, as a mom of a 10-year-old daughter, I know that the time is coming for her to deal with the same issues as we all did as teenagers:
- The insecurity of your body changing and how you fit into the world.
- The issues with friends and boys and who knows what else?
- The acne monster will be rearing it’s unsightly head and wreaking havoc on her and her friends, too.
The stress will begin and I have to be ready to help her deal with it as best she can. You know I’m a bit manic and really love to plan, so I’m already thinking of ways I am going to talk to her about dealing with being a teen, and tackling all of these issues.
Dealing with her body, beauty, and acne is most certainly going to be on that list!!
When talking to your teen about acne, I think it’s really important to convey to them that there are many factors involved in how and why acne occurs. Sure, some things may very well be out of their control, but many things are very much in their control.
Here are my top 5 tips on how to talk to your teen about combatting acne:
(1) Make sure they are diligent in your facial cleansing and moisturizing routine. Make sure to do it every day and night. It’s important to remind girls to remove all makeup from their face every night.
(2) Be sure they always change their bed sheets and, most importantly, their pillowcase. Change them weekly, at least.
(3) Eat healthy as much as possible. This is so important and so easily overlooked because making the connection from internal to external can be tough for kids (and for adults). The phrase “you are what you eat” is never truer when talking about acne. The more unhealthy food you put in, the more it reflects on their skin.
(4) Remind them to not touch their face. I know it sounds strange, but it’s so true. People, including my daughter, have a nervous reaction to situations that are stressful or even to boring ones. You’re not sure how to react or what to do, so hands automatically are drawn to the face. This is how dirt and germs transfer to the skin and eventually clog pores and create pimples.
(5) Use really good facial products that are paraben and sulfate-free, non-comedogenic and dermatologist tested, so it’s suitable for all skin types. This is so important. Consider X OUT Wash-In Treatment, by the Makers of Proactiv®.
This is a quick, hassle-free way to clear skin has 3 uses: it’s a cleanser, a spot treatment and a mask. Formulated with 8.5% benzoyl peroxide, X Out™ is a one-step Wash-In Treatment that washes powerful breakout fighting medicine into pores to help kill the bacteria that causes pimples.
Smooth beads exfoliate dead skin cells and a unique moisturizing complex protects and soothes skin. It’s a home-run in the fight against acne.
So how do you plan to have the acne discussion with your teen? X Out™ is priced at $19.95 and is available at Xout.com.
To find out more about how you can be an X Out Mom to your teen, check out:
*Lady and the Blog LLC received compensation for this review post. All opinions and ideas expressed are my own.
- Looking For Clear Skin? I’m About To Rock Your World
- What Does The Aerolase Laser Treatment Do? Before And After Results
- How To Get Rid Of Acne Scars: Treatments That Work And At-Home Lotion Options
- Best Of Beauty: Sulfur Masks For Acne Prone Skin
- How I Finally Beat Adult Acne
- Teenage Acne Treatments That Work – Clean & Clear