I love Maltese food – especially Maltese Baked Rice – and there’s a good reason for it. I am first-generation American! My mother was born in Luqa, Malta and I’ve spent countless summers on the island with my grandmother and my cousins soaking up that island sun.
One of my favorite Maltese recipes to eat is also pretty simple to make – thank goodness! In fact, Maltese baked rice is an absolute treat!! I truly hope you give this one a chance. Your family (kids included) will love it.
Maltese Food: Maltese Baked Rice Recipe
Maltese food is a mix of Italian and Arabic cuisine. There is curry and tomato sauce. You will find a ton of fish because they are surrounded by the Meditteranean Sea, but you will also find a true appreciation of spices and herbs.
Simple is best. One pot wonders are popular and the pastizzi is King! But for now, let’s focus on just one Maltese food – this baked rice recipe.
- 1 pound of ground meat
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 large jar of tomato sauce (I use Rao’s and my grandmother would kill me if she knew that I use store bought but you know what – this is how it is so don’t judge me)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 2 cups water
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Brown your meat and drain the oil then add one jar of marinara sauce. Traditionally, my grandmother makes her own sauce, but we didn’t have enough time before lunch.
So, I opened up a jar that I had on hand and it was JUST FINE. Nanna… look away and don’t judge me!! 🙂 Cook through for about 20 minutes.
Pour 2 cups of uncooked rice into your dish then pour the meat sauce over the rice. Add salt and pepper plus a 1/2 teaspoon of curry.
Scramble two eggs and pour into mixture then add 1 cup of grated cheese and 2 cups of water. Stir for a few minutes making sure it all blends and cook for one hour uncovered.
Enjoy! Do you think you will share this Maltese food with your family? Are you Maltese? Do you traditionally do baked rice differently? I would love to hear how your family does it!!
Want another Maltese recipe, then try my Maltese Torta Recipe – (Traditional Meat Pie).
More Recipe Ideas:
- Carrot Cake Cupcake Recipe
- Hearty Winter Salad Recipe
- Irish Soda Bread Recipe With Raisins
- Homemade Rice Pudding Recipe
- Strawberry Bruschetta Baguettes
- Crockpot Taco And Rice Recipe
Maltese Baked Rice Recipe
- * 1 pound of ground meat
- * 1 tablespoon of oil
- * 1 large jar of tomato sauce (I use Rao's and my grandmother would kill me if she knew that I use store bought but you know what - this is how it is so don't judge me)
- * 2 cups uncooked rice
- * 1/2 teaspoon curry
- * salt and pepper
- * 2 eggs
- * 1 cup grated cheese
- * 2 cups water
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Brown your meat and drain the oil. Then add one jar of marinara sauce.
- Cook through for about 20 minutes.
- Pour 2 cups of uncooked rice into your dish. Then pour the meat sauce over the rice.
- Add salt and pepper plus a 1/2 teaspoon of curry.
- Scramble two eggs and pour into mixture.
- Then add 1 cup of grated cheese and 2 cups of water. Stir for a few minutes making sure it all blends.
- Cook for one hour uncovered.