If you are on the hunt for a beginners guide to family camping and think a family camping checklist will help you out while packing for your upcoming trip, you are in luck! This printable has everything you need and more and is included in a post filled with camping tips and tricks to help you on your next adventure.
A family camping checklist will make everything that much easier for first-timers. I am a city girl! So, heading out into the wild isn’t something that comes very naturally to me.
Taking a family camping trip can be so much fun. You’re able to detach, relax and have a blast with your family away from the hustle and bustle of the real world. Whether you opt to go camping for a night, a weekend or a full week, family camping is a fun way to reduce stress and strengthen your family bond.
Family Camping Checklist
But you need… stuff! And lots of it! Without going completely overboard, here are the absolute essentials I think you need to bring while camping underneath the stars with the people that you love.
Best Family Camping Tents
When it comes to choosing the best family camping tent you’ll want to make sure it has enough space for everyone to sleep comfortably. If you’re going to have any electronics inside of the tent, you’ll want to make sure it has an easy access port for an electric cord to slide through into the family camping tent.
In addition to those two points, the best family camping tents will provide you with a comfortable, safe, rain resistant area to relax while you’re enjoying your family camping trip.
The following family camping tents have been rated at least 4 stars on Amazon and will make a great tent for you to spend quality time together while camping.
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 9 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height:78
- CORE H20 Block Technology and an adjustable ground vent
- Features room divider and wall storage pockets keep items neat and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
- 8-person family dome tent with attached screen room
- Made of weather-repellent polyester with polyurethane coating
- Full mesh roof option; double-staked Power corners for stability
- Screened area functions as sun room or second sleeping room
- Measures 16 x 6.5 x 11 feet (W x H x D); weighs 27.3 pounds
- Large yet practical and comfortable, the Gateway is perfect for all groups or families, great for daytime or night.
- Generous 7 foot center and wall height allow campers to move easily throughout the tent
- Durable 1200mm polyester tent body is great for getting out in the warm or cool weather
- Coordinating 1200mm polyester fly with taped fly seams and polyethylene binding floor helps to provide water resistance in varied conditions
- Fly includes guy ropes on each side for securing tent in windy weather, and features a solar shield that reflects sun light and keeps tent cooler in warm weather
- Spacious 8-person tent has enough room for 3 queen size air beds
- WeatherTec system with patented corner welds and inverted seams helps keep water out
- Extended door awning keeps shoes and gear dry; hinged door offers easy access
- Measures 16 x 7 feet with 6-foot 2-inch center height
- Quick setup in 15 minutes with carry bag included for easy transportation
Easy Camping Meals For Families
There are so many fun camping meals that you can make when you’re on your family camping adventure. I’ve compiled a list of my favorite easy camping meals for families below to help you plan your meals for your vacation in the woods.
- Maple Sriracha Chicken Kabobs – sounds so tasty!
- Chicken and Veggie Foil Packets – love a good foil pack meal.
- Campfire Nachos – you had me at nachos
- Scrambled Eggs – all you need is eggs, water, butter, and make them in a saucepan over a campfire.
- BBQ Chicken Dinner – love a good BBQ chicken
- Camping Breakfast Sandwich – breakfast sandwiches are so easy to make
- Hawaiian BBQ Pork Taco – we love tacos!
There are many other meals you can make as easy camping meals for families simply by chopping up some raw meat and vegetables before you leave to go camping. Place these cut up meat and vegetable slices in tinfoil, grab some skewers and cook the ingredients over your campfire to the desired tenderness, making sure the meat is cooked through.
Family Camping Checklist
When it comes to enjoying family camping together, it’s important that you remember to pack the essentials. All too often families venture out to go family camping and realize that they forgot to pack something.
From the smallest of items to some larger items, here is my family camping checklist to help you prepare for your time away out in the wilderness in a tent:
- Tent and all supplies to put the tent up.
- Tent rain cover/guard if the tent isn’t waterproof
- Sleeping Bag or Blanket for each Family Member
- Pillow for Each Family Member
- Extra Batteries
- Fuel for Oil Lanterns
- Camping Grill, if not cooking by campfire
- Air Mattress
- Air Mattress Repair kit
- Matches or lighter
- Ax or knife to cut firewood, just in case.
- Frying Pan, Sauce Pan, Large Pot
- Portable Coffee Maker
- Skewer Sticks
- Food Storage Bags, Foil, Plastic Wrap
- Cooler with ice or mini-fridge
- Trash Bags
- Napkins/Paper Towels
- Sponge, Dish Soap, Bin to Wash Dishes In
Clothing & Personal Items:
- Daytime and Nighttime Clothes
- Water Shoes
- Hiking Shoes and Comfortable Shoes
- Extra Layers like Sweater/Sweatshirts
- Insect Repellent
- First Aid Kit
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Hair ties for longer hair
- Smartphone/Electronic Chargers
- Pet Supplies and Food
- Paper Maps in case of no service
- Bikes and outdoor toys
Print A Copy Of Your Family Camping Checklist Here
You don’t have to worry about referencing this blog page over and over again if you don’t want to! You can download your copy of this Family Camping checklist and keep a copy on hand for reference at home.
Personally, what I like to do is print a fresh family camping checklist every single time my family likes to hit the road and then physically check off each item as it is packed… but that is just me. You can decide to use this free camping printable however you’d like.
Either way, click here to get your free download of the family camping checklist from Lady and the Blog.
Fun Family Camping Games
Worried that your children will get bored while out in the wild? Don’t worry! Here are some games to keep them occupied.
Nature Scavenger Hunt – Head on outdoors with a list of nature items to find. You can put insects, leaves, trees, and other items found out in nature in the region that you’re going family camping in for a fun nature scavenger hunt. I have a nature hunt scavenger hunt printable for you to download if you’d like, but it includes a twist.
Camping Olympics – Host your very own camping Olympics complete with potato sack races, obstacle courses and maybe even a swimming competition if there’s a pool or river where you’re camping. Be sure to add supplies for this fun family camping game to your family camping checklist.
Camping Bingo – Make your own Bingo Cards based on things that can be found out in nature, at your campsite, in your vehicle or even in the tents. You can get premade Camping Bingo cards online via Ranger Rick’s website.
S’mores Card Game – Pick up a copy of your own S’ mores card game online at Amazon to bring along as a fun family camping game. This card game is for ages 6 plus and is a fast pace fun camping game to entertain the kids for hours.
Flashlight Tag – This fun family camping game is a unique combination of hide and go seek with tag. You’ll want to use rechargeable batteries for this game, or have a lot of extra batteries on hand to replace as you enjoy a nighttime game of flashlight tag with your whole family.
Other Games To Consider:
- Family Challenge Games
- Ball free game for kids
- Family Road Trip Packing List – What To Pack For A Road Trip
This beginners guide to family camping has covered all of the basics for venturing out on a camping trip with your family. From the best family camping tents to a brief list of fun family camping games, you should now be able to get started on planning that next family camping trip.
I truly hope my family camping checklist will help you in some small way. At the very least, it will get you under those beautiful stars that much faster.