CARAMEL APPLE COOKIES — come in mah belly! I love apple and I love caramel. The perfect combination!! If you are looking for a great tasting recipe – especially for the FALL – consider this recipe. It takes a little bit of time to prep, but the reward is worth the effort.
Yields: 2 dozen cookies
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Bake Time: 12 minutes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 small Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup (scant, remove 1 tablespoon) frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed but still cold
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons apple juice concentrate
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg for 20 seconds, set aside.
- Place peeled and chopped apples in food processor. Pulse a few times to chop coarsely – creating very small chunks. In a small bowl, combine finely chopped apple (including juices from the apples) and lemon juice, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend together butter and brown sugar until creamy – scrape down sides of bowl and bottom of bowl, occasionally. Mix in egg and vanilla extract.
- Add half of the flour mixture, and then (with mixer running on low speed), slowly add in apple juice concentrate, and remaining half of flour mixture.
- Add apple and lemon mixture.
- Scoop dough with a tablespoon and drop onto parchment paper lined baking sheets – placing cookies 2-inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven 11-12 minutes. Cook on baking sheet before transferring to wire rack to completely cool.
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, apple juice concentrate and salt.
- Heat mixture over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and whisk in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread over cookies, and immediately sprinkle with pecans as frosting sets quickly.
Notes: As frosting cools, it will thicken – so add ½ tsp. warm water at a time to thin as needed for a more spreadable consistency. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.