I love greek rice pudding. I’m from Astoria, Queens. What can I say!? That’s why I am always on the hunt for the latest and greatest rice pudding recipe from the old country. So when I say “latest” … I really mean the OLDEST. I don’t want the hipster version. I want Yia Yia’s version! Give it to me straight – old school. Are you with me on this?
Authentic Greek Rice Pudding
The truth of the matter is that I used to live next door to a woman who made the BEST Greek rice pudding. I would try to get the recipe out of my friend’s grandmother and she would only say, “all the milk in the house.” WHAT DOES THAT MEAN???
Today – this post is dedicated to a rice pudding recipe that will put my old neighbor to shame! I’m just kidding. She can’t be beat. But seriously, this Greek rice pudding is pretty sweet… literally. I eat a TON of this delicious dessert (almost on a daily basis). It is my snack of choice. I usually indulge after lunch. Take a look at the recipe below and let me know what you think! Is it worth a shot? The answer is YES.
Greek Rice Pudding Recipe: Authentic Like Yia Yia
- 1.5 cups milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup long grained white rice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 tsp cinnamon for topping
- In a large saucepan, combine rice and water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- While rice is cooking, combine sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix very well until completely whipped and smooth. Set to the side.
- When rice is finished cooking, remove lid, and add milk. Continuously stir the milk into the rice, while cooking on low heat. Stir for about 5 minutes and until it thickens. Once rice is no longer runny, add the sugar/egg mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into desired serving bowl or dish. Let cool completely. Pudding will thicken up more once completely cooled.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of cinnamon. Serve warm or cold.
*can use an additional tbs. of vanilla
*can use nutmeg as garnish as well as cinnamon
*can add more/less cinnamon
What do you think of this rice pudding recipe? Will you consider giving it a go?
More Greek Recipe Ideas
If you are looking for more Greek recipes, you could always try my Greek lemon potatoes. They are SUPER easy to make and bake perfectly every time! I also have this 7-Layer Greek Dip that I make for parties in the summer that tastes FRESH as can be. YUM! And for breakfast, my family just loves these Greek Fritatta bites. Hope you enjoy!!