Who knew daytime TV was so informative!? While sitting on the couch with Caleb trying to put him to sleep I was flipping through network television. I caught Dr. Oz’s intro to a sleep study and I decided to stick around to hear the results. I’ve had a lifetime of trouble in this department!!! Turns out what you eat IMPACTS your sleep cycle.
A new study categories people into 4 unique groups. This is a VERY HIGH LEVEL RECAP. For more information, please visit the Dr. Oz website.
Very Short Sleeper (0-4 hours a night):
- Drinks the least amount of water out of all the groups
- Lacking Lycopene & Alpha-Carotene rich foods
- Consumes the least variety of foods in their diet
- Starting your day with a glass of grapefruit juice
- Peppers, Watermelon (red and greens vegetables and fruits)
- Get in your 8 glasses of water – make it a priority
4 nights of 4 hours or less and you can find yourself in a pre-diabetic state.
Short Sleeper (5 or 6 hours per night):
- Consumes the most calories out of all the study groups
- Eat about 50 extra calories per day
- Lacks vitamin C
- Lacks Selenium
- Citrus! Add lemon or lime to your drink.
- Brazil Nuts
- Heart Attack
Over Sleeper (9 or more hours a night):
- Lacking Theobromine and Choline
- Chocolate!! An ounce of dark chocolate a day (don’t worry about caffeine – there isn’t enough in chocolate to disturb your sleep)
- Eggs, turkey and scallops
Ideal Sleeper (7-8 hours):
- Well-Balanced diet
- Drank the most water
- Healthiest of all the groups
Where do you fall?? I am a HORRIFIC sleeper!! I think this is a very interesting study! I think that exercise needs to be included in this mix. I find that when I exercise, I sleep better.