This is a sponsored post written by me in partnership with Axe.
As a mom of both boys and girls, I can tell you that there is a real difference between the two genders. My girl loves to spray herself with perfume and indulge in the occasional bubble bath after school.
My boys, on the other hand, much rather sweat it out on the basketball courts and only shower if I beg them hard enough. This is REAL, folks. I’m not saying it’s typical. I’m just saying this is a version of life that rings true for me.
If this sounds like the fairytale that you are living through, I wanted to write a post summing up some sage advice I’ve been given that has worked throughout this trying time.
Boys are loving and sweet and kind and special. They are generous and amazing and warm and giving. But when push comes to shove, there are moments in a teen’s life when smelly socks outweigh the roses.
And us moms need to come together to figure out ways to manage the mess – unmade bed at a time.
Raising Teen Boys And Getting Real About Hygiene
First off, I am going to tell you that the number one tip that has worked for me is getting my son involved the decision making right from the start. Begin every new decision with open dialogue.
We recently got my son, Liam, started on a new routine of Axe body wash products but only after walking him through WHY it was time to do so. I didn’t just start throwing these products in his bathroom.
I made sure that he understood the need for the change. And I highly suggest that you take this route as well.
When having your first sit down, do so with no expectations. But you know what? I bet your child is already aware of the issue.
Believe me, these little guys are more advanced than we think. If your child is struggling with hygiene issues, odds are they know about it, but just didn’t know how to approach it. Or, if they weren’t aware of it, bringing it up is all they will need to want to rectify the situation.
A simple sit down can set the tone, create the agenda, and help you and your child figure out small goals. Here are some questions you can bring up during your discussion:
- Why do you think it’s important to work on your hygiene?
- Do you notice other boys or girls using deodorant in school?
- How would you feel if we got you an extra deodorant to leave in your gym locker at school?
- How many times a week do you think boys/girls your age should shower a week? How many times a week do you think I shower?
- Should boys/girls shower after every activity that makes them sweat?
- How much time does it really take to shower? Would it really throw off your day to add it to your routine?
- What if you could pick out the scents of your shampoos, body washes, and deodorants? Would you want to use them more if you picked out your own scents?
Getting The Yes To Proceed
Odds are, your child will tell you YES. Yes, they would like to pick out their own scents. And that’s when you ask them to come along with you on a special shopping trip to CVS dedicated to ONE purpose. A quick IN and OUT.
Don’t add this trip to a FULL BLOWN Sunday grocery shopping spree. Make it something special and exciting than just the two of you will do. Head to CVS with one purpose in mind – your child’s hygiene and buying him some new products to make him feel like he can handle it!
Once inside, let your child actually pick out their own styling and washing product scents. Liam has his favorite Axe scents and tends to repeat the same ones over and over again.
As you know, it’s not just about bringing home these Axe products. It’s about showing your child how to use each of these new tools. And remember – have fun!!
What Axe products did we bring home?
Axe Phoenix 2-in-1 Shampoo and Conditioner, 16oz.
- 2 in 1 formula for easy shampoo plus conditioner experience
- Mens shampoo cleanses with a fresh scent and invigorating feel
- Leaves guys’ hair feeling soft, touchable, and clean
- Superior style starts with cleaner hair.
AXE Body Wash for Men, Apollo, 16 oz.
- No. 1 in the World Male Body Wash Brand (*Source: Euromonitor International Limited;
Men’ bath and shower retail value sales, 2016. Axe includes all AXE/Lynx/Ego Sales)
- Invigorating AXE Apollo Body Wash in 16 fluid ounce bottle
- Refreshing AXE Apollo combines the crisp notes of green fruits and fresh sage
- Refreshing fragrance to kick off or end your day
AXE Phoenix Deodorant Stick
- A classic, fruity fragrance featuring lavender, geranium, and citrus
- Goes on smoothly and provides all-day freshness and odor protection
- Strong enough to ensure 24-hour protection – giving renewed confidence without fear of body odor or sweat stain
AXE Clean Cut Look Classic Pomade
- Tame unruly hair and combat pouf with AXE Clean Cut Look Classic Pomade. Ideal for short to mid-length hair, this pomade for men lets you create a variety of structured styles while providing a medium hold and a finishing shine.
- Just a small amount of this pomade helps you control and refine your hairstyle.
- Use AXE Clean Cut Look Classic Pomade with AXE Shampoo and Conditioner as part of your daily hair care regimen
- Ideal for short to mid-length hair looking to turn some heads
- Perfect control immaculately
Ready For A Great CVS Sale?
Right now if you head to CVS, you can save big on AXE products. Today until 3/2/19, select AXE products are on sale for Buy 1, get 1 for 50% off. What a DEAL!
You can also spend $15 and get $5 ExtraBucks® Rewards WITH CARD on Select Axe products. This is something NOT to be missed.
CVS DEAL Details:
• Buy 1, Get 1 50% off select AXE Products
• Spend $15 Get$5 ExtraBucks® Rewards WITH CARD on Select Axe products
• Offer Dates: 2/24/19-3/2/19
It’s All About Mother-Son Bonding
I think that in the end, this conversation can be a stinky one if you don’t approach it correctly. You have to have the right attitude and you have to make sure that your child doesn’t feel like he is being shamed in any way.
After all, hygiene is learned. Once he gets his new routine down, it will all work out! Slow and steady will win this race. With teen children, I have learned a few things and I want you to remember these HARD FAST RULES.
- It’s a marathon and not a sprint.
- There will be setbacks.
- Don’t take it personally.
- There will always be tomorrow.
- Yes, they really do love you even though they are doing that.
LOL!! I have to keep reminding myself of these things over and over again to get through the teen years. But you know what? These years are turning out to be some of my favorites.
I am bonding with my children in ways that I never knew was possible when they were still in diapers. These young adults are growing up to become my best friends – right before my eyes. It takes a lot of patience and guidance, but that’s what I am literally here for! I wouldn’t have it any other way.
So, laugh. Teach. Remember. Smile. Hug. Kiss. And then do it again all over tomorrow. Because that’s what it’s all about.
Ready For A Giveaway?
I thought it would be fun to host a giveaway for my readers. So, I am offering up a $25 gift card of my own to one of you so you can try out these AXE products for yourself. Use the form below to enter to win. Contest will remain live for 7 days. Best of luck!