We are knee deep in the cold and flu season. KNEE DEEP! You know it. I know it. While this is one of the hardest seasons to get through while avoiding a cold, there are things we can do to ease our suffering. Nurse Practitioner and Vicks Partner Barb Dehn offered Lady and the Blog several great tips that are easy to manage and surprisingly effective.
Spotting The Flu:
First, you have to know that you have the flu. Onset is pretty fast and people are most contagious in the first 24 hours when your symptoms are at their worst. If you have two or more of these symptoms, stay home to rest: fever over 101o F, cough, sore throat, running nose, headache, body aches, chills, or fatigue.
How To Treat Your Flu Symptoms:
Unfortunately, if you have flu… you have the flu. But there are a few things to do to make the next few days manageable! All is not lost. Nurse Practitioner Barb Dehn says,
- Avoid germs at work. Watch out for these germ-ridden places at the office: the sink in the break room, the office microwave, and doorknobs. Keep antiseptic wipes with you and remember to wash your hands frequently.
- Say no to stress. Stress can influence the symptoms of cold, cough and flu by interfering with how the immune system functions. To keep your immune system strong, make sure to get plenty of rest and sleep all the time, not just when you’re sick.
- Elevate the head of the bed. Place a pillow under your mattress to raise the upper body from the waist up. This allows blood to flow away from the head and reduce inflammation of the air passages. Using extra pillows can also ease body aches by taking the pressure off hips, knees and back.
- Take a hot shower before bed. Steam and humidity can cause sinuses to drain and relieve stuffiness from a cold. It can also help you to relax, and ease chills, aches and fatigue. Put your towel and/or bathrobe in the dryer so that you don’t feel chilled when you get out, and make sure the room is nice and warm.
- Sleep on a schedule. Go to bed and wake up on a regular schedule. Plus, avoid stimulating beverages like caffeinated coffee or alcohol before going to sleep, as well as bright light from the screens on your phone, TV or other electronic devices.
- Watch out for the “man flu.” Men can be more susceptible to catching a cold or flu, and can be affected by more severe symptoms. Be prepared with the toughest cold and flu fighting remedies to keep you feeling well even if you do get sick.
- Try tea. Drinking an herbal tea such as chamomile, passionflower or other soothing teas before bed can help you relax while also getting helpful fluids into your system.
- Take a multi-symptom medication. My patients want fast, effective relief to help them get back to their busy lives. Look for a medication that can treat the toughest symptoms while also helping you rest. DayQuil Severe and NyQuil Severe fight your worst cold & flu symptoms so you can power through symptoms during the day, and get the rest you need at night to get back to being you.
Plain and simple – DayQuil and NyQuil Severe are packed with maximum strength ingredients that help relieve the worst cold and flu symptoms. When you need help, it is there waiting for you (and right over the counter). Power through your day and get the rest you need at night. I love that there is medicine for both day and night because I know when I am really sick, I need different things in the morning and evening.
Vicks wants you to feel like yourself again when you have a cold with the help of DayQuil Severe and NyQuil Severe. And isn’t that what we all want? That’s usually what I find myself mumbling in bed
“I just want to feel NORMAL!!!”
Thankfully, our WORST cold symptoms — the ones that make it impossible to function — those are the ones that Vicks DayQuil Severe and NyQuil Severe were made to combat.
- No other nighttime medicine relieves more cold/flu symptoms than NyQuil Severe*.
- No other non-drowsy medicine relieves more cold/flu symptoms than Vicks DayQuil Severe*.
DayQuil Severe contains a non- drowsy formula that provides:
- pain reliever/fever reducer
- nasal decongestant
- cough suppressant and expectorant
- temporarily relieve aches, fever, sore throat, nasal/sinus congestion and pressure, cough and chest congestion.
NyQuil Severe contains a:
- pain reliever/fever reducer
- nasal decongestant
- cough suppressant and antihistamine
- temporarily relieve aches, fever, sore throat, nasal/sinus congestion and pressure, sneezing, running nose and cough.
Where To Purchase:
Better Home & Gardens just announced that Vicks DayQuil and NyQuil Severe has been named as one of the Best New Products of the year. In case you didn’t know, The Better Homes and Gardens Best New Product Awards (BNPA) is the most credible, consumer-voted awards program in the U.S., and represents the unbiased voice of consumers nationwide. Woot!
So, do you feel a little better about this cold and flu season? Ready to take on the worst? Has anyone in your family caught the flu yet? I hope the answer is no!!!
*among OTC cold & flu medicines.