We all know how it is. School ends and the kids stop reading. Hey – it happens! I’m not going to pretend I haven’t been guilty of this phenomenon in the past. Families get so caught up in camps and pool-time that educational commitments simply fall to the side. Well, this year I am not going to let that happen. I’m taking part in the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge. Now in its 8th year, the Summer Reading Challenge program is dedicated to stopping the “Summer Slide” and getting kids to read throughout the summer months when school is out.
Will You Take The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge?
Your kids can log their reading minutes (online and on smartphones) as they Read for the World Record, enter sweepstakes to win fabulous prizes, and earn digital rewards when they complete weekly reading challenges. You know kids enjoy activities more when there are prizes involved, right? This program has them already built in — no extra work for you!!
This year’s Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge theme is “Reading Under the Stars” (powered by EVEREADY®). Throughout the summer, kids will read around the galaxy and unlock star constellations as they log reading minutes. How fun is that? What kid wouldn’t want to grab a book and head to their backyard for a little adventure? I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!
In 2013, Scholastic inspired more than 130,000 kids from 4,200 schools in all 50 States and 31 countries to set a new record for summer reading of 176 million-plus minutes! WOWOWOOWOWOWOWOWOW!
Specific Details about the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge program —
- Kids will read around the galaxy this summer! As they log their minutes online, constellations will light up and unlock fun facts.
- Common Core-aligned activities. Kids can earn virtual prizes when they complete reading quizzes, complex text challenges, word challenges, etc.
- New book lists, including a “Reading Under the Stars”-themed list with books about space, stars, astronomy, camping, wilderness, and spooky stories to read by a campfire.
- Monthly sweepstakes and bonus reading challenges.
- Parents can track their students’ reading progress, access free Summer Reading Challenge Participation Guides for book lists (including Common Core-suggested titles), expert resources, activity sheets, a Star Guide, downloadable bookmarks and more
- Online Facebook calendar app with social media chats and giveaways.
- New daily content on the Scholastic Reading Timer app
Every Monday, check Scholastic on Twitter for the #MondayMinutes. See the total number of minutes kids have read to date!
Every Friday, follow the Scholastic Facebook calendar for Friday Freebies!
Every Friday, check out the Summer Reading Challenge Pinterest Board for a new collage of summer books.
Tune in to Facebook on June 21 for the Summer Solstice Facebook Chat for Parents
- Download the Reading Timer App: The Scholastic Reading Timer app encourages reading every day and most importantly, makes it fun!
Don’t you just LOVE THIS IDEA!!!! I really do! I’m going to have a few friends over to jumpstart this party and hopefully encourage a few moms in my town to do the same thing with their children this summer.
For more information about the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge program, click here.
- Like Scholastic Parents on Facebook
- Follow Scholastic on Twitter and Instagram
- Follow the Summer Reading Challenge Pinterest Board
- Like the Summer Reading Challenge YouTube Playlist
- * this is a sponsored post