These Pirate Cookies are so cute and fun to make – AND they have a hidden treasure inside!! They are the perfect Pirate Party Food that kids of all ages will love!
Are you planning a pirate themed birthday party for your child this year? What about Halloween? Is anyone gearing up as Captain Jack Sparrow? I mean – these Pirate Oreo Cookies are just too cute! They look like a million bucks and YES, they take a little bit of time to put together. BUT IT IS ALL MANAGEABLE. Give it a shot and wow your guests!
I mean… that mustache though. 🙂 HA!
Let’s get right into it. Here’s everything you need for the Pirate Oreos recipe.
- Oreo cookie molds
- 12 Oreo cookies
- 1 Tablespoon solid shortening
- 1 1/2 cups Wilton bright white chocolate melts
- 24 Wilton small candy eyes
- 1/4 cup Wilton red chocolate melts
- 1/4 cup Wilton blue chocolate melts
- 1/4 cup Wilton green chocolate melts
- M & M candies – 3 each of red, blue and green (cut in half)
- White decorator icing in a tube
- Black decorator icing in a tube
- Optional: white pearls sprinkles
1. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a double boiler, melt the shortening. Add the white chocolate melts and stir occasionally until melted. Once smooth and melted, I found it easier to pour into a microwave safe bowl for easier handling.
3. Add 2 Tablespoons of the melted chocolate to a cookie mold. Place an Oreo cookie on top of the melted chocolate. Spoon additional chocolate on top of the Oreo up to the top of the mold. If there are any air bubbles, tap gently on the side of the mold. Continue on until all of the molds are filled.
4. Place the cookie molds on the baking sheet and chill for one hour to allow the chocolate to harden.
5. Once the chocolate has hardened, pop the Oreos out of their mold and place directly on the baking sheet. Set aside.
6. And 1/4 cup of red chocolate melts to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 45 seconds and stir. Microwave in 10 second increments until smooth and completely melted.
7. Dip the top 1/3 of four of the Oreos into the melted red chocolate and place back on the baking sheet. Before the chocolate hardens, gently press 2 half pieces of red M&Ms into the Oreo on the bottom right side of the hat/scarf (to resemble the ties). Also, if you would like to put polka dots on the hats, sprinkle some white pearls on the chocolate before it hardens (or you could just use white icing later in the recipe).
8. Next, repeat step 7 using the blue chocolate melts and blue M&M’s.
9. Again, repeat step 7 using the green chocolate melts and green M&M’s.
1. If you didn’t use pearl sprinkles to add polka dots to the scarf, you can just pipe small dots with your white icing tube.
2. Use your white icing tube to pipe a stripe across the scarf.
3. Dab a small amount of white icing on the back of each candy eye and place two on each pirate face (unless you plan on piping a pirate patch, then you would only need one candy).
4. Using the black icing tube, you can get creative with your pirate faces by drawing a patch or adding a beard and or mustache.