Looking for fashion advice while expecting? Well, have I got the book for you! Amy Tara Koch’s ‘Bump It Up‘ offers tips and tricks for every trimester. The key to pregnancy chic? Creativity. Effort. And a commitment to pushing the sartorial envelope even when you’d rather crawl back under the sheets with a box of doughnuts. But don’t let “thigh” anxiety drive you to sneakers and plus-size velour tracksuits. It’s time to turn nine months of potential frump into mega maternity moxie.
Take a look at one of her tips for handling the water retention and weight gain we all experience during the first three months.
FIVE FAST FERTILITY FIXES
1. When your jeans or trousers still fit everywhere except the belly, a SIMPLE RUBBER BAND can offer an additional breathing room. Leave jeans unfastened and loop the rubber band around the button and button hole. This sartorial trickery is easily concealed with a hip length tee shirt, some sassy, dangly scarves or a cute scarf worn as a wide Kimono belt.
2. Two weeks later, when the notion of zipping your pants becomes comical, its time for the elasticized BELLY BAND. This soft, seamless stretchy band is a respirator for civilian pants and skirts. By miraculously sheathing unzippered, rolled to the hips pants, the belly band extends the lifespan of jeans and trousers. Too tight skirts can still be worn by pushing the waistband below the hip and covering the bulging fabric with the band. Again, a lightweight, thigh length top romantically draped over the band “camouflages” your handiwork. You can buy the bands at most maternity stores, on line (http://www.ingridandisabel.com) or even make your own with store bought dancewear fabric.
3. A more polished approach to re-sizing your trousers? Have your tailor sew SMALL TRIANGULAR ELASTIC BANDS into the side seams of pants which can be removed post baby.
4. CONTROL TOP UNDIES like Flexees or Soma help to shoehorn distended bodies into pants, dresses and skirts. Note: Switch to maternity specific undies by month four as compression is not good for the pregnancy.
5. A BODY SLIMMER like Maidenform, Donna Karan Body Perfect or Spanx slims out thighs and chisels the waistline during the first trimester. With thick gage lycra hose extending from below the boobs to the ankles Spanx Highfalutin Footless Pantyhose is a trimester one fan favorite. There is even a thoughtful crotch opening (these were invented for women by women you know) to make life easier with when Mother Nature calls. (NOTE: Switch to maternity specific slimmers in the second trimester.)
There’s also printable tip sheets you can carry in your purse to act as friendly reminders. I just LOVE this whole concept! Too bad Amy didn’t write this book 5 years ago when I started having children. Who knows – maybe there’s a third in my future. It’s good to know I have someone looking out for me fashionably. LOL!