Your home is your base, your sanctuary, your safe place. It’s also you place of chaos, of kids, of parties, and of messes. For me, it’s also a place of work and creativity. It can be difficult at times to balance all that. There’s just so much to do in a day, between work, caring for the kids, and who knows what else? Top that all off with everyone seemingly having just too much stuff and the high expectations you have for your home’s appearance and you have yourself a real challenge. After all, your home is a reflection of you, isn’t it??
Though there can probably be 100 tips on the list, here are my top 5 tips for balancing working and home with caring for you family and your home:
1) Have a dedicated space and time when you are “at work.” This means that you should have no distractions (or as close to it as possible). Also, be sure to keep your workspace clean, organized, and clutter-free. It’s very important to be able to concentrate on your work so that you can get it done and be productive, therefore allowing for more time to spend on everything else.
2) Make sure you shut down your work at a certain time each day, no matter what. Well, no matter what or until the kids are in bed. Yes, you have things to do, but the kids and house needs your attention as well. It’s not fair if only one of your many roles take up too much time. Cut it off and spend the time with the kids and doing errands. Then, if you absolutely MUST work, do it when the kids are in bed. What, you wanted a relaxing night of doing nothing??
3) Turn off all electronics and outside distractions when you are not working. Put it all down and don’t be a slave to your phone. Allowing this to creep in will start to quickly take over, pretty much wiping out tip #2 in the process. Relax, you’ll be happy you do it.
4) Have the kids get in the mix. Sure, this kind of messes up the tips above, but once in a while we all have to break the rules, no? Bring your kids into your work once in a while. They will feel involved, important, and accomplished. Plus, it will create lasting memories I think everyone will cherish for a long time to come.
5) Take time out for yourself. Yes, I know, this seems impossible most of the time. Getting pulled in so many different directions can take a toll on you. You just need to have some alone time, or some “me” time. Working at home and running the household makes this task even more difficult. You really have to make an effort to get out, meet your friends, and set up some good times for yourself to enjoy (spa anyone??). Above all else, this may be the most important tip Even if it’s an hour or two at the local coffee shop, please make sure you take this tip seriously and make it a priority. All the other tips will fall into place just a bit easier if you do.
Do yourself a favor, lay out a plan of your own about how to juggle it all, keep it all in balance, and give each distinct part of your life it’s just due. Once you make it, try to implement and stick by it. The more you work on it, the better results you will see. And once cleaning the house gets to be too much, you could always consider a home cleaning service.
*This post was written in partnership with The Maids.