3cmm Dilated, 60% Effaced, Contracting Every 3-5 Minutes… And The Hospital Sent Me Home

Screen shot 2013-02-14 at 4.06.06 AM

All day yesterday I felt different… jittery if you will. I felt like something was going to happen. Woke up excited and antsy. It was the strangest thing. I even had a friend tell me she had a dream about me the night before and in that dream I had the baby. Not sure if you believe in those sort of things – but I do.

At around 10AM, I started to cramp very heavily… and consistently. It wouldn’t stop. It wasn’t really on and off. It just WAS. I was also contracting every few minutes – but I didn’t time them. They weren’t excruciating at all – so I didn’t see the need.

By 2PM, I was DONE. I couldn’t handle it anymore. I told Bill this was a very different day and that I had to call the doctor. There was SOMETHING going on. My doctor told me to go to L&D to get checked out.  Two friends came and took my kids to their after school activities and off we went to the hospital.

When I got to the hospital I was placed on the monitor. Shockingly enough, I was contracting a LOT. The BIG ones (the ones I actually FELT) were about 5 minutes apart. But in between them were smaller ones which I was not aware of.

When the nurse came in to check me, she told me I was 3cmm dilated and 60% effaced. I was very excited because with my last two children I was admitted at 4cmm. AND both times I had NO PRETERM symptoms. I went to the doctor and after an internal she just sent me to the hospital. In FACT, with my last two babies, Bill and I went out to EAT before hitting the hospital after the appointments. That’s how uneventful the beginnings of those labors were – easy breezy.

I NEVER FELT PAIN prior to being admitted to the hospital. I was SURE this time around I would be admitted.

Well, after the nurse called my doctor I was released. And I was so confused!!!! She said if I was having a c-section, that they would have kept me but since I want a VBAC I have to come in STRONG and what I was experiencing was just not enough.

As soon as we got in the car I started to cry. I was in pain and I was hoping I could just get this party started. But I wasn’t ready yet.

Screen shot 2013-02-14 at 4.05.59 AM

Bill and I had the kids sent back home to us. Natalie was in TEARS – she was expecting a dinner play date and I ripped her right out of that dream. Felt bad about that – but I didn’t want to impose. Everything was so last minute. Looking back, I should have just let her have dinner there… oh well.

Anyway, the family ran to Babies R Us and picked up a bassinet. We’ve been dragging our feet over this purchase. The one I wanted was out of stock. I don’t have time to wait (at least I hope not) – so we bought what was available. We then went to dinner. I was contracting and in pain through both events. People must have thought I was CRAZY in the restaurant. I was like GRIPPING the side of the table…. UGH.

When we came home, the kids each took showers and Bill went to TOWN. He started to put together everything. FINALLY! I guess this shook him up. I drank about a gallon of water and went to sleep around 10. By then, all the pain stopped. It lasted a good 11 hours though. Yesterday, was not a fun day. Not at all.

I woke up around 3AM and did a little Google search. Apparently, this is normal. People don’t necessarily get admitted this early in delivery. My last doctor was just different – she put me right in and broke my water to move me right along. Different doctor – different hospital – different rules.

I was SO UPSET ALL DAY. I cried HARD. I was so ready for the drugs and to have this baby! The nurse told me to come back when I was REALLY in pain. Well, I’ve never done that BEFORE! I’ve never had to go through all that nonsense. I would walk in, tell them I was 4cmm (BOTH TIMES) and they would hook me right up to the epidural. Plain and simple. Now I have to LABOR a bit before this new hospital lets me get in the game. I was crying because I just DON’T WANT TO DO THATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

But I have no choice. This is what they want. I’ve accepted it. I’m going to have to struggle a bit this last time.

It is what it is. It isn’t what I want… but I don’t make the rules. Honestly though, I’m so pissed.

Today – I’m not going to move. I do NOT want to have this baby today. I share a birthday with my husband and it’s not fun to have to share your birthday with something. I don’t want my son to have to have his birthday parties at school the day after his birthday because everyone was too busy celebrating Valentine’s Day on the actual date. I know that’s so lame to say – but I think ahead… and am totally corny like that.

I have an appointment with my doctor this morning – three of them in fact. So, now (unlike yesterday) I am praying he tells me I am the SAME and have not progressed. I want to get to Friday before I progress any further.  But again – I recognize that it’s out of my hands. I am a control freak and I have to let go of myself for this one.

Sorry for such a long post… but there was a lot of emotion felt during the last 24 hours.


About Me

Check out Vera Sweeney's media kit here.

Subscribe to Lady and the Blog

Looking for weekly updates? Want to receive every recipe, free printable, and contest notification? I would love to have you part of my newsletter community.



  1. Patty wrote:

    Dear Vera…hope today is a better day! You will meet your little one soon enough! xoxo

    Posted 2.14.13
  2. Tracee wrote:

    I guess I hope this lasts just long enough for you to get through today before you welcome your baby boy tomorrow!

    Posted 2.14.13
  3. Joanne Gregory wrote:

    Your little guy will be in your arms so soon. So excited for you! We are going to the dr. today and will find out the sex of my daughter’s baby, then to babies r us so both grandmas-to-be can start shopping!

    Posted 2.15.13

Comments are closed.